Multi vs. Single Message Ads
- In Q1 2010 the auto industry was struggling: manufacturers bomboarded the marketplace with ad messages.
- Consumers, however were responding with “that ad looks like just another car ad”.
- Ford ads genereated above norm Ace Scores and the manufacturer finished the quarter with impressive sales gains.
- Ace data showed that most Q1 auto industry ads were multi-message :30 spots.
- Bucking the trend, Ford aired single message :15 second spots.
- Ford’s ads were different, not merely due to their shorter length.
- They focused on a single feature of the vehicle delivered in an informal tone.
- The spokespeople were everyday people talking about how the single feature (many with an innovative tech focus) helped enrich and personalize their driving experience.
- Ace verbatims reflected consumers appreciating the ads to-the-point style. Ford got kudos for being technologically advanced – a big surprise to many consumers.